Wednesday 4 February 2015

More Marie Antoinette Doll Finds

By Rococo Barocco
Still enjoying making my own Marie doll which I will look forward to posting as soon as she is finished.  I didn't quite get my weekend all to myself but it was lovely to see godchild unexpectedly.  There are some really interesting Marie dolls out on the net and I wanted to share some of my favourites.  These charming ladies funnily enough are all in the UK and can be found on Etsy - real variety that makes them so individual.

By The Bread and Circus








Cute, flamboyant and even a little sinister no two are alike, which is what makes them so endearing.  I love the Gainsborough lady made by Rococo Barocco, the colours and the fabric choices are so lush and decadent.  The hair is just magnificent, all her ladies are grand and theatrical with sumptuous detail.

I find the piece by The Bread and Circus rather sinister but adore the painterly style of the doll.  The detail is quite something and the overall finish is amazing.  This lady's dolls are all unusual and worth a peek.  The form is very simple but the features and intricacy of the painting is really special.

By  SketchInc
I am drawn strongly to cloth and fabric dolls, they are my greatest love but I think this little wooden girl is so pretty.  Again the painting is so tight and simply conveys the impression of Marie Antoinette and the court dresses of the time.  There is an elegance to her form that is so very pleasing.

As I said, if you are interested there are a lot of versions of Marie , some good and some not so good.  I was amazed to find so many on Etsy and not a single one on Folksy.  I am enjoying my Marie so much I don't think she will be a singleton, when I have the time I am sure I will want to make more pegs and more cloth dolls in my own style. I don't think my tubby girls could be Marie Antoinette but maybe they will have to be court ladies.

By Whisper of the Pipet
I am always amazed at what people do with wool felt, there is a lady who blogs as Gingermelon Dolls and her creations are the cutest things.  So are the dolls made by Whisper of the Pipet.  This little Marie is so delicate and yet the detail is adorable - am very tempted by this little beauty.  Her hair is so appealing as are the dark eyes and rosy cheeks.  This lady has some very sweet pieces on her page.

I have had great fun looking at all the dresses, hats and shoes of the period.  The embroidery is amazing and the skill of the embroiders of the day was stunning.  I can imagine that with the corsets, hoops and powder spending a full day in a court costume would be a hot, sticky affair - the mind boggles as to how these ladies went to the loo!  But there is something so inexorably romantic about these clothes, they touch the imagination.







No comments:

Post a Comment