Sunday 15 February 2015

My Marie Antoinette inspired doll - Marie Amalia

I have gone heavy with the rouge, apparently
they wore so much that it appeared as two circles
on their cheeks, like a china doll.
Here is my attempt at a Marie Antoinette French Court lady - I have called Marie Amalia, who was Marie Antoinette's sister.  All her sisters' names were prefixed Marie after their mother, the formidable Empress Marie Terese.  My girl has to be Amalia because she is too fat for Marie Antoinette!
I have gone for a day dress in floral cotton and embellished in the style of the day.  The dress is my attempt at a polonaise, my version is too simple and the next doll I will try something a little more 1770.  The sleeves were fun and the shoes, in fact I have had a great time playing and quite like the results.  She looks better in the flesh than on the photos but thanks to Becca I have any photos at all. Her new camera which I cannot work.
The embellishments have been such fun, when you look at the court dresses of the day some are so over the top they make you smile.  Would love to try one on though, just for half an hour or so.  One or two of the Princesses of the Blood where so large I am sure they could have found a dress to fit me!
 I have spent many a happy hour reading about Marie, her story and the crazy life at court.  When reading her story you cannot help hoping that the outcome could be different.  She seems to have been such an engaging and genuine soul who was misrepresented and misunderstood at every turn.  All the time you are reading about her you are a little sad because her fall is so absolute.  The Jacobins and Girondins where ruthless in the extreme and treated Marie much worse than even the King.  She had to be made an example of, to justify their actions.  So sad and so cruel.



Mustn't get maudlin and remember the heyday.  I have loved making this doll and it has spurred me on to make others in a similar vein.  I want to try different versions, look at English costume of a similar period. Particularly that of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire.  I fancy a Madame Du Barry and a Madame Pompadour even a Lady Elizabeth Foster. I am fascinated by women in history and how, for better or worse, they have made their mark in the history books.  Great modern female biographers of historical woman include Antonia Fraser, Alison Weir, Alison Plowden and Anne Somerset, to name just a few. There are some truly great ladies of history.
Becca wants me to make a court gentleman but I am not sure how to even start with one of those extravagant frock coats.  Simply put I am having fun and as long as I make my deadlines for orders I am going to indulge myself!  It does the creative spirit good to let rip every now and then.
I have a little fabric left, enough to make a peg doll so I might treat myself this afternoon
I hope you like her and would love to hear your comments.  Keep well and warmest wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment