Saturday 31 August 2013

Wandering Round Lovely Lancashire

Got the chance yesterday to go for a wander around Rivington, we have had the most glorious summer, just enough rain to keep most things green but long lingering warm summer days.  I don't get the opportunity to walk as often as I would like but do enjoy our countryside when I do.  I am always surprised at peoples perception of Lancashire, it seems to hark back to the dark days of mills and chimneys, and they were there but Lancashire is such a lovely rural place, you are never far away from countryside even in our biggest city, Preston.  Just drive for ten minutes and you can be on Longridge Fell or heading out towards Bowland.  This lovely picture, by Mark Sanderson, shows the Dove Cote or Pigeon Tower up on Rivington Pike.  I was wandering around this yesterday evening and you can just feel the change and that Autumn is on the way.  Some leaves are starting to change, the rowan berries are bright red, there is a nip in the air towards evening and as my Grandma would say, the nights are drawing in

2 comments:

  1. This photo makes me want to live there!
    I am Scots-Irish by my ancestry.
    All of the British Isles beckon to me, sigh~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lancashire is much misunderstood, folk from out of the county think only of Lancsashire's industrial heritage but Lancashire is essentially agricultural. We have only two large cities, Lancaster and Preston but most of Lancashire is small towns, villages and countryside. I live just under Rivington, the place in the photograph, but there is Longridge Fells, Pendle Hill and the Trough of Bowland just to name a few. The British Isles is wonderful, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but I'd never leave Lancashire. Born and bred, as we say. If ever you get to the UK, come up north it's worth it! Having said that, California looks lovely, so much sunshine - we know about rain in Lancashire, thats why the put the cotton mills up here!
    All the best, Carol

    ReplyDelete