Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Venus of Willendorf

While reading around an essay on the Feminine Principle, I was drawn to an image of the Venus.  Several years ago we were lucky enough to be able to spend a long weekend in Vienna and there I took the opportunity to visit the Venus in the Natural History Museum.  For anyone not familiar with her she is now known to academia as the Woman of Willendorf, she is around 24,000 years old and stands about 4 inches tall.  To me she is a very potent image.  However, I digress, I am not by any stretch of imagination a slender vision of womanhood. Whilst standing in front of the exhibition case I was joined by two little boys of around 8 or 9 years of age in school blazers and short trousers.  They looked carefully at the statue and then turned their gaze on me, then they looked back at the Venus and began to giggle.  Any language barrier was immediately breached by these two little imps as seeing the look on their faces I began to laugh along.  It's a very warm and amusing memory. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment