Wednesday 28 August 2013

A Button Sampler

I would like to share with you one of my samplers, this one is a button sampler using silk hearts and old buttons as a motif.  It is stitched on 28 count evenweave and uses a variety of silks and cottons, some hand dyed.  I use a variety of stiches including herringbone, montenegrin stitch and pulled thread.  The image to the left of this shows the sampler before it is stretched for mounting, the other images showing detail and the piece when it has been stretched and framed.
I love working these pieces and get a tremendous pleasure from finding new stitches to work into a new sampler.  I started when quite young learning free embroidery from my Grandma, an accomplished stitcher and then discovered cross stitch in my teens.  My move into counted thread work came during my City and Guilds and I have enjoyed exploring ever since.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment