Wednesday 7 August 2013

One of my inspirations

This is one of the earliest pieces of ceramic ever found.  She is an early representation of a mature stone age women,  maybe she is a goddess or a fertility symbol or just a gentle reminder of a real woman left behind when hunting.  I think she is very lovely, she was found at Dolni Vestanice in Moravia in the Czech Republic.

She makes me wonder who made her, a stone age woman taking the time to form her in clay and bake her in the fire.  What were they thinking and what was she for, she must have been very special to someone or a community of people.

I have been aware of her for quite a long time and her form and her presence has made me confident to make my girls as I see fit. They are all bonny lasses as my grandma would have said.  I like them to be round and warm, my girls are all comfortable in themselves.  The women in my family are all bonny girls, big ladies that baked bread, made jam and sorted out everyones problems.  Confident, warm and loving.  The ceramic figure   shown here, has that kind of feel to her, big, bonny and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment