Tuesday 16 August 2016

Tuesday Talent - Sophie Standing

Sophie Standing is a British born embroiderer that now lives in Africa.  All her work is created with embroidery thread and fine quality fabrics - she favours Liberty Tana Lawn and Kaffe Fassett.

Surprisingly her delicate work is not small, a piece can be up to 1.5m and contain 3000 metres of thread. She favours all kinds of wildlife - I must admit to being drawn to her birds but her large mammals are terrific, such colour.

She works to commission and you can find more information at 'sophiestandingart.com' and she has a strong presence of Pinterest.

I am just blown away with her detail, colour choice & the way she uses fabric to create light and shade in her thread paintings.  Should you be so inspired there is a link on her site to purchase prints of her wonderful animals.  I think her work is joyful as well as beautiful, I shared a cup of tea with a lovely lady from South Africa at the Quilt Show in Birmingham, she showed me Sophie's work on her phone and I just had to share.




No comments:

Post a Comment