Saturday 13 August 2016

Elwine - A Refined Blue Tit Lady

Elwine is a refined version of my original Edlyn Blue Tit.  I felt that I hadn't got the feather pattern just right and wanted to adjust the colours.  So Elwine has more yellow fly stitch and less green chain stitch.  I have also sloped her black feather pattern slightly down to help with her profile.

Elwine is, as are all these passerine dolls, tiny. Standing just eight inches tall I am trying to give the effect of delicacy of form whilst maintaining my favoured doll style.  She is, as the photos show, heavily embroidered both on her body and her wings.  Her fabric choices were made to compliment her plumage colours to give the overall effect of a pretty lady blue tit.  She is stitched front and back, her dress is finished with organza ribbon & tiny buttons and she has a ring to her back so that she can hang.

I love my birds, be it the little treasures in the garden or my regular friends at Martin Mere but I do so enjoy making these little ladies.  Edlyn has gone off to a new home in Mawdesley and Elwine is now up for adoption.  I have several more robins to make for customers and my commissions include a little boy herring gull for October - with yellow leather legs, which should be fun,  I hope you like Elwine and my very best wishes for a great weekend. 
 




Detail of Elwine's embroidery


Edlyn and Elwine 

More yellow and less green for a better balance.



No comments:

Post a Comment