Friday 26 August 2016

Ardith in fabric from The V&A Collection

 Ardith is an Anglo Saxon name which means 'a good war' if there is such a thing.  It also has a Hebrew meaning of 'field of flowers' which is somewhat gentler.  My great great grandma was Lytia Lavinia and her sister was Anna Ardith that's how I know of it - it think it is a pretty name for my blue eyed dainty girl.  She is an English rose with blue eyes, blond hair and pink cheeks, her pattern is an Ida Doll and she stands just twelve inches tall.

However it is her fabric that I want to tell you about.  It is from the collection by The V&A back in 2012, when they did a limited edition run of printed cottons taken from their collection. All based on English fabrics from the 1750's onward.

 


The fabric to my left is taken from a patchwork coverlet composed of block-printed cottons of the 1780s and 1790s, this shell print is actually from 1797.
The fabric below is Seed Head (blue) fabric design from a patchwork coverlet of printed cotton and linen with appliqué and embroidery, England, 1802-1830.

I have dressed Ardith in this fabric and made a few pincushions and needlecases from the tiny bits left over.  I think knowing the fabric is taken from such a source makes it extra special to use and I am seeking out more patterns from this elusive fabric series for further dolls and bird dolls. Happy hunting for me as I like rumaging to find bits and bobs. Look out this collection there are some lovely colours & prints and it is a great quality to work with, such an interesting heritage.







No comments:

Post a Comment