Saturday 14 May 2016

Rose - in the softest pink

This is Rose, she is a 14 inch Nora doll, with a hand embroidered, hand painted face.  Her glorious curly hair is made from coffee coloured wool tops by Clover Natural Roving and is hand styled.  I tried very hard to make it seem as curly as possible and I think it looks good.

She is wearing a little smock dress with a co-ordinating collar all made from a selection of fabrics bought on a trip to Holland from the most amazing patchwork and quilting shop.  The shop is Petra Prins Patchwork and Quilting in Zutphen.  They had fabrics from people I had never heard of and had a wonderful way of not grouping fabrics in brand but making interesting combinations based on colour and pattern for more unusual choices.  I really love this combination, not the most obvious colourway but I wish I could always get such a tight blend without always resorting to harmony.  Becca is always telling me to be more adventurous with my fabric choices but I admit I am a bit of a stick in the mud. I  have promised myself I will try to be more bold.

Little Rose is accompanied by a small embroidered lavender sachet that is taken from her dress fabric.  Since beginning to do this I have really enjoyed the look and will continue to give each doll her own scented sachet.  Most of my dolls are finished with organza ribbon and the contrast of the machine made cord to hold the sachet I think is effective.  I want to have more embroidery on my dolls and this is a start.

As always Rose is softly stuffed and she has lavender and rose buds in her tummy to give her scent and to take a little bit of Lancashire with her when she goes.  I am building this current collection of dolls and bird dolls to open a shop on Etsy.  I have had a place there since 2008 would you believe but have never been brave enough to put a doll up for sale.  Well I was fifty last week and I think it is about time I took the plunge, I also want to do my first craft stall this year and have promised Becca so she will keep me to my promise.  Very scary but its taking that first step.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment