Wednesday 11 May 2016

Mouse Tin Workshop


I just though I would share with you one of my workshops.  This one was for three and I wanted to use old mint tins.  My husband has a thing about mints and always buys the same make so we have lots of mint tins which are too nice to throw away.

So, for this work shop I gave them the task of recycling these lovely tins to make a novelty item they had to design from scratch. So the mouse tin workshop was born. 

First of all they selected the paper to cover the mint tin and found a strong Mexican influenced paper in vivid reds and soft greens.  This inspired them to make a Day of the Dead mouse but finding this too ambitious settled for a fawn wool felt woodmouse.  They made their own mouse pattern and decided on leather ears, paws and tail with little brown glass beads for eyes. The mouse has button jointed arms.  We made a mattress and pillow with Rachel coming up with the brilliant slice of cheese felt blanket to finish.  They are now hoping David will hurry up and eat more mints so that they can have some more tins for fresh ideas.
They are all keen to use recycled or vintage items and felt features heavily in the workshops.  We've made felt wolf brooches as well as appliqued cushions and embellished hearts for Mothers's Day.  They decided to take pictures and I am happy to share them.  I love their tins and it is great fun to help realise their ideas - I think a slice of holey cheese for a blanket was inspired! Hope you enjoy.







  











No comments:

Post a Comment