Saturday 5 December 2015

Crested Tit and Blue Tit Embroidery Detail

Ongoing Embroidery Detail
This is just a little post for Sheila and Joyce at the WI who asked about my bird doll.  So for them and anyone else interested in the way the bird dolls work here goes.

I draw up my own patterns from my drawings, each doll has a different pattern based on an original.  For the plumage patterns I use stencils, again each one cut for each different species.  I cut a left and a right stencil, one for each side.  I then print the feather pattern using weak acrylic paint onto white cotton and let every stage dry before printing the next pattern.
Completed Embroidery Detail

The bird is then stuffed and the legs are added to make the doll, I am now ready to start embroidering.  I go for a feather feel to my stitches, using one strand of embroidery floss in an appropriate colour.  The stitches I use include fly stitch, feather stitch, whipped running stitch and different chains, I also like to use a free hand cross for texture on both the head and body.  I embroider well down the body, because even though the dress will cover some of it, when you look down inside the finished doll you will see embroidery not simply cloth.  I like to embroider the head, body and have great fun with the wings.  I am currently trying to incorporate a tail into the pattern as in spring I have a wren to do and she will really need her tail but haven't quite got it yet.

So there you go, they are proving very popular and I will get plenty of practice over the next few months on custom orders.  I am working on a simple bird shaped hanging embroidered doll and will share that when complete.  Again the embroidery being my main focus, which I am thoroughly enjoying.  I am sorry but I don't sell my patterns and please excuse my somewhat erratic photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment