Tuesday 1 December 2015

A Note on Stuffing

This is just a note on stuffing, the doll kind not sage and onion.  Recently I have been struggling with necks on dolls and wadding up of stuffing to make unsightly lumps.  I have been using a generic stuffing from a well known chain of craft shops because I thought stuffing is stuffing and it was a bargain at the time.

What a mistake, all the problems I have been having are down to cheap stuffing.  It really makes a difference.  Some people use all kinds of natural materials to stuff their dolls but I have always used a fibre fill.  For many years I used the stuffing sold by Panduro Hobby in Sweden but when they stopped selling large quantities I switched to using what was available locally.

If you are going to use a fibre fill can I stress use a good one.  I have been using Mountain Mist Fibreloft and the results are amazing. There is a good solid stuff that fits into tiny places and doesn't bunch.  I was getting floppy, bendy necks with the old stuff but not with Mountain Mist.  I truly thought I was doing something wrong and had suddenly forgotten the art of stuffing a doll but quality stuffing has been a revelation.  So to avoid the headaches and restuffing that I have been through, use a good quality stuffing from the start.  It is so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment