Thursday 26 March 2015

A Little Poppy Sampler

A Little Poppy Sampler
Just thought I would share this little sampler with you, it's a style I am asked for a lot, a tiny scene with specific flowers.  I have made nothing but samplers all week, starting with a new baby piece.  Not often I have weeks like that but enjoyed very much some good old fashioned hand embroidery.  I feel that embroidery is what I trained to do and it is my first love.  I embroidered my first hanky with my gran when I was seven, it was a letter B for Barbara, surrounded by my mothers favourite daffodils in french knots and chain stitch, my mum still has it - sentimental old softy that she is!  Love making my dolls but sometimes a change is as good as a rest.

The photograph shown here is the piece unstretched prior to framing, I have access to a wonderful framer, Sally at Cedar Farm in Mawdesley near Ormskirk, Lancashire.  Sally is a graduate of Goldsmiths and a textile artist in her own right, she frames all my samplers so beautifully.  Stretching will tighten up the stitching and straighten edges, it make a good deal of difference.  I couldn't show this little piece stretched as it needed to get to the framers asap.

Cedar Farm is a really great afternoon if you are in the area, lovely food both to buy in the Deli and in the cafe.  Fabulous coffee in the arcade and a whole host of amazing craft and artwork.  The Gallery is a treasure trove of the interesting and unusual. It was a working farm and twenty five years ago the farmer had the bright idea to diversify into quality art and craft work, now there is a glassblower, kiln glass, a potter, two jewellers and a host of other wonderful ware.  There is even a child friendly collections of farm animals and a small play area.  They host regular weekend Farmer's Markets and the occasional Vintage Market.  Have a peep if you are in the area, it is well out into the countryside but there are good brown signs.


One of the Galleries at Cedar Farm


No comments:

Post a Comment