Friday 30 January 2015

A Marie Antoinette Moment


 I find myself having a Marie Antoinette moment! It started with the 2006 film adaption of her story staring Kirsten Dunst, which lacks authenticity but has so much style and is very pretty.  The costumes alone make it worth a look and Miss Dunst does a good job.

This led on to rereading Lady Antonia Fraser's wonderful Marie Antoinette: a Journey, which I am thoroughly enjoying and on to this little sweetie.  I am getting a lot of satisfaction from making these little girls and they have gone down quite well.  This tiny person is just four and a half inches from stand to feather and it is lovely to work so small, tiny bows and tiny beads and feathers.  To make her hair I glued a thread to her head, glued a base of tops and then sewed the rest onto the head, getting a fair amount of height.



A Hamster Marie Antoinette

Now I am wandering the internet looking at other cloth Maries and finding some wonderful and interesting interpretations.  I am giving myself this weekend to make a larger doll and have had a good old rummage around to find suitable fabric. I am going for a day dress in period florals, light and frothy. Truly excited and looking forward to further Marie dolls.  Of all the dolls I saw in my searches my favourite find is this crazy, amazing piece by Mythillogical to be found on Etsy. I think a hamster Marie Antoinette, with accompanying strawberry tart and a pink feather is just fabulous and it works so brilliantly. This Marie Moment may lead to Dangerous Liaisons, with Glenn Close this evening so I can soak up more of the atmosphere.  When you start looking, this iconic figure has inspired many artists and makers to make not only dolls but all kinds of interesting takes, worth a peek.  Well, bonsoir from me and I hope you all have a good evening.









No comments:

Post a Comment