Saturday 30 July 2016

Branwen The Crow Lady

Branwen actually means 'fair raven' but this Branwen is a crow lady, our crow lady who lives in the woods behind the house.  She has been around for years, never has a partner and chases all the other crows away but seems pretty friendly with out resident family of magpies.

Branwen the Crow Lady is 16 inches tall, which is much bigger than my tiny passerines and I am thinking of reducing the pattern but she seems pretty stately in her own way.  She is, as are all my birds, heavily hand embroidered both to the head and wings and she carries a lavender sachet of her dress fabric which features a hand embroidered motif.  I must scoop the neck of the dress to show off more of the embroidery which runs quite a way down her body.

Her dress is made from a wonderful fabric set by the English family firm Lewis and Irene and is from their Bluebell Wood fabric range.  Such a great quality and so good to work with.  As always she has multiple underskirts and matching knickers, her underskirts are finished with a tulle skirt for lift. The outfit is completed with coordinating tiny buttons and organza ribbon, the lavender sachet is carried on machine made cord.

The Bluebell Wood fabric has mushrooms, ransoms and hedgehogs which we find in our wood, as well as the ferns that fill my garden.  I loved making this first crow and I think she may be one of many they are so charming to work. I do hope you like her.







No comments:

Post a Comment