Thursday 11 December 2014

Friday Folksy Finds - Robins

As we get closer and closer to the longest day I am all things winter and robins in winter are one of my favourites.  Our lovable but voracious birder, Pusspuss (terrible name!) keeps many birds at bay but the stalwart robins are regularly seen in and out of the garden.  I have a bird hanger just with robin food and it is well used by the die hard robins and one or two other brave passerines.  Our other regular visitors include a resident family of magpies that eat Pusspuss's dinner and a gang of long tailed tits who arrive in a noisy bundle, raid the garden of spiders and leave.  But the robins are always around and their stroppy, strutty selves are a pleasure to see.  There are, as you would expect, alot of Christmas robins in all their glory but I wanted to find winter robins or all year round robins that appealed to me.  So here goes. 
By Elizabeth S Murray
 I think this is stunning, worked in silver and enamel, the form and the colours sit so well together to make such an elegant piece of work.  Her other pieces are many bird forms, bird eggs and flowers, all just as subtle and as delicate.  Very lovely.

By Kate Broughton
 This card by Kate Broughton is such fun and so practical.  The robin print is well done and it looks good on the recycled brown card stock but the twist of a parcel of bird seed just makes it that bit more quirky and special.  I have seen this done before but I think Kate does it best.

By fiona t
 All of fiona t 's zombie embroideries are great, she makes tiny zombie foxes and zombie panda figures and a whole host of sketchbooks and journals with zombie animals but I find her zombie robin just so cute.  He sits well on journal covers and particularly well on this book mark, not all Fiona's robins are zombies, there are some cute robins that are not undead but I like this one.

By The Cotton Potter
 This fiesty fellow is by the Cotton Potter and her work is just stunning.  I have bought work by her and it arrives in a tiny bird sized box, with nesting material, two feathers and a chocolate egg, all of which just adds to the excitment of the gift.  Her work is robust and beautifully made, this cheeky little chap on the spade is so perfect, the tweed fabric lending itself so well to the form of the bird.  Check her out, she does lovely work.

By Witty Dawn

Witty Dawn was also Audrey's Cat, until spring this year when she rebranded her shop.  Witty Dawn is all things vintage, her creations are wonderful and whimsical but are made extra special by her use of vintage fabrics.  Her robin is quite unlike any robin I have seen but he is so attractive and robiny that he becomes appealing, I think he make a brilliant hanging.

Well these are my finds for this week, there are so many non christmas robins on Folksy that I could have had ten easily.  The Way to Blue make gorgeous cyanotype lamp shades and The Linen Cat has really quirky hanging robins but you have to stop somewhere.  I have now posted out my last Christmas doll, never got any on Folksy as they all sold before I could paste them on the shop, but I'm glad they sold.  Next year I think I must start Lancashire Witches in June ready for October and Christmas Dolls around August to have enough for the shop as well.  I am so grateful that it has been such a good year.  I am off now to make a final batch of Christmas Cards for a stall my friend is having over the weekend and then I'm done for this year.  Really, really happy and looking forward to next year and all those lovely dollies.  Warmest winter wishes and keep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment