Sunday 2 November 2014

Astley Park Autumn Embroidery

I am just getting ready to start a new batch of orders and am spending so much time behind my sewing machine that I am making the effort to walk for an hour each day.  This has made me so in touch with my local park in autumn and I have come to love the rambles through the woodland and visits to the exhibitions there, they even have a great coffee shop that does a wonderful cappuccino, a real treat after a brisk walk.  The warm autumn weather has made such an amazing colourscape that it has left me breathless at times just in love with the woodlands again.  Having really missed contact with the wider natural world I have spent this weekend just playing with autumn coloured threads and canvas making an embroidered woodland path through Astley Park.  I find free embroidery really relaxing, you cannot do it wrong, the needle and canvas just responds to your mood and with a vague outline you can follow the threads.  It allows you to play with all those gorgeous threads that you have in your stash that can only by used in free embroidery and couched and pinned.  I started this little embroidery with a piece of Quaker Cloth and painted it with gouache, I then overlaid fly stitch, chain stitch and knots to raise the surface and make the textures.  The design is to represent a path through the woodland as well as an outline of the layout of the park.  We are so lucky to live so close to such a great resource, our garden backs onto the park so we literally have to step out of our garden gate and after a quick walk we are into the heart of the park.  Our local borough have made huge improvements over the last few years and if you are in Chorley I can heartily recommend a saunter through Astley Park and the lemon curd cake at the Cafe Ambio .
 


Lovely Photo of Astley Hall by John Cobham


No comments:

Post a Comment