Tuesday 22 September 2015

A Welcome Return

It took a little longer to set up than expected but it's great to say hello again.  Becca got a first in her BA(Hons) in Contemporary Craft and is just about to start her MA in Ceramics back with Dave Binns at UCLan.  She has now taken over the cabin and made it her own and I have my little nook back in the house.

I am back to work now and getting my teeth into some commissions, some Christmas work and a project of my own with my perennial favourite 'birds' - long tailed tits at present.  I have wanted to make Bird Dolls for a while, not dolls shaped like birds but bird headed and winged dolls in little dresses. Got a bee in my bonnet about them and I want to work them out.

The idea is to use more embroidery on the dolls, which is what I trained to do and something I love working at.  I suppose I want to work to suit myself and less with a commercial eye. I am thinking seriously of applying to do a Masterclass Certificate with Tracy Franklin at Stitch Business in Durham, to get me back on track with all the ideas and designs in my head.  Still working with dolls but working on embroidery as well.

My change of location seems to have given me a change of perspective.  I will be writing regularly now, after such a long break, trying to share my work and ideas and the exhibitions and events we get to see.  Speaking of which, if you happen to be in Dartmouth - three hundred miles away from us - Becca is part of an exhibition called Rising Stars, at the Coombe Gallery. It's a showcase exhibition of selected graduates of 2015.  We are 'popping down' to see it in October but if you are in the area it is worth seeing.  All keep well and enjoy this autumn sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment