Tuesday 18 October 2016

Tuesday Talent - Sophie Tilley

Sophie Tilley is an artist that I greatly admire, she is the maker of one of my dolls to own list.  She is a doll maker, illustrator and story writer from North Wales. At one point she made beautiful cloth dolls with black bobbed hair and the sweetest expression but now she has a signature wooden doll dressed in cloth and paint - a reworking of the traditional peg doll.

This little lady is just lovely with bright blue eyes and a rosebud mouth, I particularly like the ones with the headscarf.  Now if you want to see more of her dolls you cannot go wrong with Pinterest or with her website www.sophietilley.com but if you want to buy one you will have to be patient.  They don't seem to ever be readily available, the Etsy shop seems to have shut down and the web site has great pictures but no dolls to buy.  I do confess I just enjoy looking at them, their stylish outfits and colour combinations appeal and give me inspirations for colour choices I might not have made naturally.  Sophie's mother was French and she seems to have that effortless continental flair.

I would like a finished doll using Sophie's fabulous pick of fabrics but for those who like a do it yourself approach there is a kit featuring a plain wooden doll for you to make your own.  Keep an eye on the website for developments if you are interested.




No comments:

Post a Comment