Tuesday 17 June 2014

Tilda, a little tubby lady.

This little lady is Tilda, she stands twelve inches tall and is made from tea dyed calico.  Her dress is made from fragments of fabric I discovered whilst having a tidy up after a big order.  The new style of Rhoda and Connie dolls are selling well but I had the urge to make an older pattern and Tilda is what came about.  I have made a girl very similar in the past and I love the whimsical and nostalgic fabrics in soft duck egg blue and berries.  Her knickers and underskirt are my Aunty Irene's kitchen blind fabric, (which I had fun making). Her stripy legs and little heart are what is left from a shirt of my husband's and the fabric makes great legs.  He has a red stripe one that I am trying to persuade him is going at the collar and then I can lay claim!
I think her hair is a little dark but it sits well with the fabric and her stripy heart, I couldn't find the perfect match. I will keep looking out for a different shade of wool tops and maybe have a change. 
I have discovered a new range of wool tops, 'Trimits Natural Wool Roving' it sells at Hobbycraft of all places and comes in small amounts just right for doll hair and is really quite cheap.  The range is very good and it is lovely to use.  I think they do the best yellow blond I have seen and I find blond hard to find, it's always too yellow like a sunflower or too cream.  Having found the pattern I have the urge to make a few more like her and put them in my craft fair stock, all different fabrics but all with lovely stripy legs.  Hope you like her.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I love your style of dolls, Carol
    I learned about your blog over at Flora Thompson's 'Bone Head Studio'.
    I belong to a couple of doll sites: 'the trodden path' ning in the 'Cloth and Clay' group (which I have been a member since 2008, when the doll site was just getting off the ground) I have seen your name on the internet too; I am also in the MAIDA doll ning site, with Dixie Redmond when she had her Izannah Walker doll workshop. Her patterns for that class are still available. On my blog, I try to keep those doll links on my side bars for easy access for myself and others who make dolls. I am also at 'Sweet Rembrance' ning with Paula Walton making her Alabama Baby doll patterns, etc. and also her own version of the Izannah Walker dolls, more like the originals with the mold directions to make the doll faces.
    Nice meeting you! I like your cabin at the back of your property. Looks so cozy and comfy!
    hugs,
    Teresa in California
    http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Teresa, thank you for your lovely comments. I am a complete blog novice and am still finding my way around. Your blog is wonderful, so many fascinating posts. I ventured onto the Trodden Path - looks so interesting. The cabin at the back of the bungalow is a god send, we have a tiny house in a great location so it has been essential for my workshop. However my daughter has recently taken up residence in the cabin and I am having to share. She is a ceramic sculpture student doing her degree at our local university, UCLAN. I would say that at the present time she definately has more than fifty percent and I am being squeesed - heaven know what will happen if she buys a kiln! It has been lovely talking to you, I am not sure what a ning is but I am going going to investigate - particularly the Izzanah Walker dolls, I just love the styling of these dolls, they have such a rich tradition. Anyhow, genuinely lovely to talk to you, best wishes Carol in lovely Lancashire.

      Delete