Thursday 19 September 2013

Emilie Floge's Dress

 I was lucky enough a few years ago to visit Vienna for a long weekend.  We went specifically to see the Klimt exhibition, an exhibition that brought together many of Klimt's paintings into one show.  I came home much enthused and used many postcards I had collected as inspiration for embroideries.  The piece I want to share with you is inspired by the dress worn by Emilie Floge in Klimt's painting of her.  Emilie was Klimt's long time partner and a well respected fashion designer in her own right.  The dress she wears in the painting uses fabric designed by Klimt himself.  I love this painting, it is one of my favourites and I enjoyed working this little piece of embroidery.  I first painted the quaker cloth in appropriate colours with gouache and then over worked the pattern in a mixture of french knots, random crosses and couching.  I had some lovely threads from the wonderful Oliver Twists that make all the difference in shine, texture and tone. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment