Friday 31 May 2024

New Tiny Nurse Dolls

 

I finally have working pattern for the new nurse dolls. I have based them on photographs of my Mum and my Mother in Law who were both nurses. Mum worked in orthopaedics and Joan was both a midwife and then a health visitor.
The style of the dress is based on the Norman Hartnell design from the 1940's and 1950's. I have been amazed at the variety of colours and combinations used throughout the period and into the 1980's.
I am making them in a variety of colours and they can come with or without a cape. I am happy to take commissions on this design to get hair colour, uniform colours etc just right if they are a gift for a nurse.
Mum has loved reminiscing about these days and got quite hung up on details. I had to remind her that these dolls are only 12 inches tall!
It has been great to shop for tiny buttons, buckles and to make the little bag that Mum said she carried.
Each nurse with a cape is £50 and without a cape £45. Please note the capes do not come off.
The capes are lined with a Liberty tana lawn for a little bit of colour variation and the little red cross bags are of brown leather. Mum always carried one between hospitals and when she travelled in the ambulances. The little cap design is based on one Mum still had and is so simple to construct and held with a single button.
Just a note to anyone in the area we will be on The Spot On Makers Market on June 15th in Poulton le Fylde. This is a new venue for us and we are really looking forward to it.
We will be there with lots of dolls and little gifts on the Saturday at the Teanlowe Centre in the town. It would be lovely to see your there and there will be nurses with me.












No comments:

Post a Comment