Sunday 12 February 2017

Variations on a Theme

 I have been working on commissions recently and have made several wrens.  I was intrigued on looking back at how one hand using the same pattern and being as careful as I can be could produce such a diverse result.

I always make each doll individually, never making as a batch because the dolls loose their individuality.  I like to think that each of my girls has their own personality and looking at these three wrens I find myself thinking that is the case.

The slight variation in the embroidered pattern is nothing next to the profile of each girl. Only when you take a photograph and compare them do you see the diversity of form.  In the Autumn I am making a set of four bridesmaid girls and each doll will be a different bird but dressed in the bride's choice of fabric.  If ever I have to make multiples of the same species for a commission it will be interesting to see the variations as a set.  A steadier hand would be required for uniformity but I have to confess I like the variety.


No comments:

Post a Comment