.A few shots of whats on my worktable this Work in Progress Wednesday.Sappho is a tiny goldfinch, inspired by my constant visitors to the garden. They are one of the most numerous birds we get, which is so lovely.
Her plumage is heavily embroidered with fly or feather stitch and random cross stitch in three colours, which is so satisfying. I try to reflect the birds' plumage as accurately as I can and they are a joy to make.
Sappho has citrine to her heart with lots of chamomile and she is dressed in Donna Leigh by Liberty. This is an organic tana lawn and has a wonderful feel. A little heavier than regular tana lawn but super soft.
The patter Donna Leigh is an old original from the late 1700's by William Kilburn. Kilburn was a prolific pattern maker usually for muslin. His signature was floral abundance on a dark ground. But the butter yellow is just right here.
I will finish her today and as soon as Reuban works his magic she will be in the shop.
The absolutely joy I get from making these little birds knows no bounds and I am at my happiest embroidering their wings, their bodies and all the tiny embroidered details that goes with them.








No comments:
Post a Comment