Friday 13 September 2024

Odile, A New Style of an Old Pattern

 

Long legged Odile is the first of a remake of an old pattern. Way back in 2014 I first made this style of doll and it was well received. However I always had problems with the neck. The large head on the long, slim neck was a nightmare to stuff and I was never happy it was that secure.
I could stuff and restuff but was never truly happy. I have been asked time and again to repeat the pattern but never felt comfortable with something I was so unsure of.
So back to the drawing board and the Rag Maids or Rhoda Dolls as I called them have been reborn. She now has a four part body pattern with a separate head that is firmly stitched to a solid stuffed neck for strength. Effectively now she has a chin and I must admit to liking the look.
At the beginning of Pook's Studio I had Connie dolls, Rhoda dolls and Millie dolls before they became witches and fairy god mothers but Rhoda dolls as a name stuck with me.
These lovely ladies are my great aunts, Connie, Rhoda and Millie with a photograph of the first Rhoda Dolls back in 2014.
Connie was my best pal when I was a little girl. Born at the turn of the century she was very shy and profoundly deaf with a reputation among my family of a wicked temper. She once would not speak to her nephew, my Uncle Jim, for two years because of a dream!
On the farm where we all lived, I would wander up the lane to their house and she was always ready to play boats in the bath. I invariably fell into the bath at some point and would be returned to my Grandma sopping wet and wearing Aunty Connie's cardigan! Happy days and fond memories
These ladies are tall dolls for me, standing 50cm tall. With long legs and a plump bottom they sit very well and are quite companiable. With a crochet bonnet and a little scarf they have pretty petticoats and big boots.
Odile is dressed in a Liberty tana lawn called Honeysuckle Dance with honeysuckle vines abounding. Teamed with burnt orange shot cotton and a cream tulle her sturdy brown boots finish her outfit. This time they also have organza ribbon and a tiny pillow sampler for verisimilitude. I like the completeness.
















No comments:

Post a Comment