Friday 19 July 2024

Esme, A Little Mohair Mouse

 

Little Esme is one a current quintet of midnight mice, mostly with mohair fur. At the moment it is mice, mice, mice and I have really missed them making other dolls for galleries and commissions.
As all my dolls have, Little Esme has a crystal to her heart. In this case carnelian for health and well being. With chamomile in her stuffing with a few drops of roman chamomile oil. She has golden brown sparse mohair fur with a deep brown eye and fawn leather ears. Dressed in a Liberty Tana Lawn midnight print called Antonia Bloom she has late summer vibes with burnt orange underskirts in shot cotton and black tulle. Her drawers are a cream broderie Anglais cotton.
Loving the midnight feeling I have also added a kitten, vixen and rabbit to the shop.
One more mohair midnight mouse and then lots of embroidered mice to follow.
Little Esme's tiny pillow has lots of oranges and yellows to pick up the colour in her dress fabric. She is finished with tiny leather shoes which have orange laces, organza ribbon and tiny buttons.
Antonia Bloom is an older print by Liberty Tana Lawn but so lovely for a tiny mouse. I love the vibrant colours in contrast to the black ground, truly one of my favourites.
Now I am used to working with the mohair I love it. Really enjoy the texture plays with the fur and the super fine tana lawn. I do think of the dolls as three dimensional illustrated texture palettes. That sounds rather grand but I really enjoy having something to hold in my hand rather than behind glass.
In a previous incarnation I worked as a technical botanical illustrator and grew so weary of everything being flat. When the market changed with the advent of computers I embraced the move into textiles wholeheartedly and I have never looked back.
I feel really privileged to love what I do so much xx











No comments:

Post a Comment